On Roger Penrose's Fashion, Faith & Fantasy in Physics Today
On Jan 2, 2005, at 2:11 PM, Tony Smith wrote:
Jack, you said that you '... give an actual QED mechanism for the vacuum instability causing inflation'
"In your model, why is there a transition from inflation to our present slower expansion mode ? In other words, why does inflation end ?"
For the same reason it ends in the mainstream model. I am simply giving an explanation for the success of the phenomenological mainstream model which contains a lot more on smaller scale phenomena that fit the observations at least qualitatively and yield Einstein's field equation as a world hologram phase effect.
"In Paula Zizzi's model, the end of inflation is something like the decoherence of a conscious thought a la Penrose-Hameroff etc."
I don't need that. However, I do have a model for consciousness that is also macro-quantum and is formally similar. Big things do not "collapse". It's all in the NOVA book up to early 2003.
"You have said that your universe begins with ' R(Initial Singularity) = 1 i.e. 1 Bit thinking of universe as cosmic computer with David Finkelstein's chronons 10^-44 sec of erasures - resetting the register so to speak.' That actually sounds to me more like Paula Zizzi's model in
where she says:
'during inflation, the universe can be described as a superposed state of quantum registers. ... we can indulge in speculating about the brain-universe, with ... quantum gravity registers, and a coherence time 10^(-34) sec ... which might have a conscious experience ...'
I did hear Zizzi speak in Paris 2003 Vigier. However, my thought has not been strongly influenced by hers. I did not understand her talk very well. She spoke too softly. Also I have not spent time trying to read her papers. This stuff is in the air and I have been thinking about such stuff since at least 1973 as Saul-Paul Sirag writes about in "Destiny Matrix"
"In a later paper at
'We consider a quantum gravity register that is a particular quantum memory register which grows with time, and whose qubits are pixels of area of quantum de Sitter horizons. At each time step, the vacuum state of this quantum register grows because of the uncertainty in quantum information induced by the vacuum quantum fluctuations. The resulting virtual states,
(responsible for the speed up of growth, i.e., inflation), are operated on by quantum logic gates and transformed into qubits.
The model of quantum growing network (QGN) described here is exactly solvable ... We also show that the bound on the speed of computation, the bound on clock precision, and the holographic bound, are saturated by the QGN.'
Yeah, that's all in same ballpark. Does she explicitly talk of vacuum coherence of the false vacuum ZPF prior to formation of gravity?
1. Does she explicitly write
Entropy(Universe)/kB ~ R(t)^2 = Number of World Hologram BITS?
2. Does she use this to solve Penrose's Arrow of Time problem?
3. Does she explicitly calculate the Dark Energy Density as
4. Does she explicitly write Einstein's cosmological constant /\ as
/\ = (LpR(t))^-2 ?
5. Note that this comes directly from Einstein's exotic vacuum field equation
Guv + /\guv = 0
6. tuv(Exotic Vacuum) = (hc/Lp^4)(1/R(t))^2guv = (hc/Lp^2)/\guv
that I derive directly from t'Hooft-Susskind Hologram + Arrow of Time Constraint where in FRW large-scale homogeneous-isotropic limit
7. /\ = Lp^-2[1 - Lp^3|Vacuum Coherence|^2]
8. R(t)^2 = [1 - Lp^3|Vacuum Coherence|^2]^-1
9. (Vacuum Coherence);uu^;u + a(Vacuum Coherence) + b|Vacuum Coherence|^2(Vacuum Coherence) = 0
;u is (LC) covariant partial derivative
;uu^;u is (LC) covariant divergence "wave operator" D'Alembertian
10. (Vacuum Coherence) = |Higgs Amplitude|e^i(Goldstone Hologram Phase)
11. In pre -> post inflation vacuum phase transition
a > 0, b > 0 pre-inflation FALSE VACUUM no gravity, all rest masses = 0
a < 0, b > 0 post-inflation
12. Add the usual Linde friction terms as in mainstream models.
13. |Higgs Field| ~ e^-1/(Virtual Exchange Photon Energy)(Density of Virtual Electron States at False Vacuum Fermi Surface E = 0)
as in Nambu-Jona Lasino BCS models.
14. eu = eu^aea
eu^a = tetrads
15. eu = (Kronecker Delta)u^aea + Lp^2(Goldstone Phase),u
,u is ordinary partial derivative in flat Minkowski spacetime.
16. guv(Curved) = (Minkowski)uv + (Lp^2/2)(Goldstone Phase)(,u,v)
( , ) is symmetrizer
17. U(1) local gauge symmetry, given two local coordinate charts x^u & x^u' at event P
Goldstone Phase(x^u) -> Goldstone Phase(x^u') = Goldstone Phase(x^u) + Chi(x^u|x^u')
18. Chi(x^u|x^u') = Canonical Transformation Generating Function Analog
= Transition Function for overlapping coordinate charts in the curved manifold
19. GCT Jacobian Matrices for GCT Tensor Transformations are
Xu^u' = Chi,u^u' etc.
20. Mixed partial derivative in a single coordinate chart need not commute.
21. Local metric effects of global non-trivial topology like Bohm-Aharonov (BA) effect from closed non-exact connection 1-forms (R. Kiehn) where the p = 1 Betti number =/= 0 for example Vilenken-Taub "curvature without curvature" from an unstable thin flat wall of exotic vacuum anti-gravitating dark energy where (LC) curl of (LC) with itself = 0, but (LC) =/=0 for HOVERING LNIFs. This is analogous to BA fringe shift where electrons only move in curlA = 0 region, but still feel the QUANTIZED enclosed curlA magnetic flux nonlocally. That is, A is felt locally in spite of gauge freedom. The electron canonical momentum p = mv - (e/c)A = (h/i)(U(1) Covariant Gradient of Micro-Quantum Phase of Electron) is gauge invariant.
22. Similarly AS ABOVE SO BELOW the Micro-Quantum Phase of the single real electron is replaced by the Macro-Quantum Goldstone Phase of the Virtual Electron-Positron Vacuum Condensate.
23. (Vacuum Coherence) ~ (Virtual Electron-Positron Condensate)
in the dominant approximation.
Does Zizzi have all that explicit in my Breaking the Real Da Vinci Code?
See story of Carlo Suares in Paris 1973 in the book "Destiny Matrix". :-)
I agree that torsion fields may be required experimentally. Too soon to tell. I refer also to Kleinert below. My basic Bohm guidance equation above
guv(Curved) = (Minkowski)uv + (Lp^2/2)(Goldstone Phase)(,u,v)
was inspired by Kleinert's idea that you cite below.
On Jan 2, 2005, at 2:11 PM, Tony Smith wrote:'
"Carlos, you say that you 'do NOT set the Torsion to zero by hand like Mansouri-MacDowell did. I *derive* it . ...".
Actually, in the variant of MacDowell-Mansouri that I use, I have non-zero torsion because I think that torsion is natural and necessary to build a model with spinor fermions. See for example http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/0306029 entitled Einstein-Cartan theory as a theory of defects in space-time by M. L. Ruggiero and A. Tartaglia, where they say:
'Trautman ... introduced a characteristic length to estimate the effects of torsion, the "Cartan" radius. To achieve the condition ...[that] spin effects ... be of the same order as mass effects ... or, alternatively, when the matter density is [about] 10^47 g cm^(-3) for electron-like matter and 10^54 g cm^(-3) for nucleon-like matter, ... we can imagine that a nucleon of mass m should be squeezed so that its radius coincides with the Cartan radius r_Cart ... For a nucleon we obtain r_Cart = 10^(-26) cm, which is very small when compared with macroscopical scales, but it is larger than the Planck length. Hence, torsion must be taken into account to achieve a quantum theory of gravity. ... Kleinert ... adopted a linearized approach and showed that space-time with torsion and curvature can be generated from a flat space-time using "singular coordinate transformations," and is completely equivalent to a medium filled with dislocations and disclinations. In other words his singular coordinate transformations are the space-time equivalent of the plastic deformations which lead to incompatible states ... Hence, at least in this approximation, space-time can be thought of as a defect state, and defects are nothing but mass, mass current, and spin. The next important point is to try to go beyond the linear approximation. ... We can then say that Einstein-Cartan space-time can be considered as a defect state of a four-dimensional continuum ... In this analogy, the Poincare group ...[has]... six kinds of disclination-like deformations, and four kinds of dislocation-like deformations, which yield 10 different Riemann-Cartan spaces filled with topological defects. ... a Burgers vector B in T (4) and a Frank matrix G in SO(1,3) are defined by the parallel transport of a tetrad in the Riemann-Cartan space U4 around the line-like defect region. In this way, a space-time with curvature and torsion is thought of
as a distorted medium filled with dislocations and disclinations ..."